Saturday, July 2, 2011

Lean Training


I have been active on many forums in LinkedIn with respect to my interest in Lean Manufacturing/Service.  As a connoisseur of Lean, I find some likes and some dislikes with responses to the authors question.  What I like is the creativity of others and their willingness to share.  My dislikes would be personal agenda rather that understanding and responding to the question.  Though I do admit, because I have the passion for Lean I have gone down that track to make a point too.

Luisa Rivera put a question out in the Kaizen subgroup of Lean Six Sigma (link to forum here) which asked, "Has anyone considered including the positive mindset in any of their Lean trainings and/Kaizen events?"

Several responses were given, however the Lean connoisseur in me was not satisfied so I responded:
  "We are not created equal. All of us have different experiences and motivation. It is up to us as trainers / leaders, to recognize this in every individual and then to design an experience that most will follow and enjoy. I have heard and used this phrase in many applications, and I will do it here as well. Create a “positive tension” towards change. Create a SMART goal for all, if that is possible. Start with quick successes if you believe there could be failure with larger and perhaps more aggressive change. Then grow. For me this is how I create the environment for a positive mindset. This is obviously the 10,000 ft level view. Much more trickles down from here.

I believe in the Toyota philosophy that inherently everyone wants to improve. It is our nature. If this can be considered a constancy of purpose within us, then we can move right into Lean or Six Sigma, with the understanding of “positive tension” that is accepted by most, if not all."

For a positive mind set to take hold, do you not need to persuade, somehow make your case, and get the other person emotionally involved too?  Everything needs to start with the person who creates the value.  There must be a win-win.  There must be ownership, and most of all leadership.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the whole creating a "positive mindset". However, I think the bigger problem is the commitment from management to maintain and empower the employees and change agents involved with the company's lean transformation. Too many times management makes commitments during training that are never fulfilled. When this occurs, it is very difficult for employees and change agents to maintain a positive mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with JS as the bigger problem that comes in this process as commitment of management and the employee's of the company , as I've described in my blog Kaizen Training, You can get more knowledge from there as well ..

    ReplyDelete