Saturday, July 30, 2011

Where do you start Lean?

As mentioned in an earlier blog (click here), I frequent the LinkedIn forums to understand how others see and resolve problems using Lean, Six Sigma, or whatever other process that may be out there. This morning I came across a discussion that I commented in earlier as a simple "No", however I now see the forum taking shape, deep diving into the last "Why?" as it were. So I thought I would share it with you. (Click here for jump to forum.)

The question posed by Lee Jones was, "Does everyone agree, that 5S is the starting point for introducing lean??" Now that I typed his question, I realize I did not post my response in the correct context. For introducing Lean perhaps the answer is Yes. I missed my edit time on the forum so I had to enter another post. Here was my prior response:

"I believe we are all on the right track. We have our purpose in thought, and if you combine all that we are stretching based on how we see the problem. As others stated, the lean journey starts with identifying waste and most of all being able to sustain improvement. Depending upon how others see it or cannot see will help determine what to start with. 5S is a method of identifying waste, as is VSM, Kanban and all the rest. However the strong argument not to confuse the stated question with "start with" and "foundations" is totally correct. The foundation, the brick and mortar that holds up the Lean structure, is seeing and sustaining. 5S is probably the best tool to train people how to do that. However this needs to be coupled with what the tool was meant for which is to see waste. As alluded to, what is the gap between you totally satisfying your customer and what they are getting now? It could be a poorly engineered product, so would 5S or VSM be the tool to identify the waste in that process, or would a house of quality matrix?

Remember, the glass does not have to be half full or half empty. It just might be engineered to the wrong size. Use the tools to identify probable cause so that you can see probable solutions. Generically, 5S seems to be a common starting point. But will you achieve greatness if you use it every time?"

Are there any other thoughts out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment